Issue 24 features essays on Kerry James Marshall, Leonor Antunes, Alice Creischer and the Portuguese film-maker Pedro Costa. Accompanying essays look at flamenco, Photorealism, the Brazilian architect Flávio de Carvalho and architectural theorist Mark Cousins’s ideas of ‘support’.
Editors: Pablo Lafuente, Nuria Enguita Mayo, Dieter Roelstraete, Melissa Gronlund, Stephanie Smith.
Founding editors: Charles Esche, Mark Lewis.
Table of contents
- Modernism, Postmodernism and Gleam: On the Photorealist Work Ethic – Dieter Roelstraete
- Preparatory Notes for Poetics and Politics Among Flamenco and Modern Artists: A Paradoxical Place – Pedro G. Romero
- The Art of Enlightenment: ‘Same Same, But Different’ – Maria Muhle
- Keep Going! Ethics and the Political in the Work of Alice Creischer – Ellen Blumenstein
- Realism, not Reality: Pedro Costa’s Digital Testimonies – Volker Pantenburg
- Frames and Bodies — Notes on Three Films by Pedro Costa: Ossos, No Quarto da Vanda, Juventude em Marcha – Jean-Louis Comolli
Kerry James Marshall
- Kerry James Marshall’s Tempting Painting – Terry R. Myers
- Kerry James Marshall: The Painter of Afro-Modern Life – Kobena Mercer
- Of ‘World Lines’ and Other Forgotten Voices – Doris Von Drathen
- Perturbing Vision: A Leonor Antunes Portfolio – Nuria Enguita Mayo
Written by Dieter Roelstraete
The publication is available for purchase. If you would like specific articles only, it is also available individually and to be downloaded as PDFs.